By Sandy Nicholson
At the start of a new year, many people take the time to reflect on the year that has just passed, and resolve to make changes for a fresh new year ahead. We, at Lady Baker's Tea, have experienced some challenges and loss in 2019, and we know that we are not alone. As we look forward to 2020 and the year before us, I am reminded of our motto at Lady Baker's Tea, "Take time for what matters." With friends suffering great loss, and the sadness of the world news this past week, I feel like now, more than ever, this saying is so important and means so much to me. We all have different priorities and different things that are important to us. Now is a good time to make of list of those things and try to figure out a plan to incorporate them into your weekly schedule.
One of my priorities for this year is spending more quality time with my family and friends. For a few more weeks, my children are both still teenagers, and I know that they will not always be living under my roof. Now is the time to cherish having them around, being supportive of them, and enjoying being their #1 fan at all of the sporting events and concerts that I can attend.
Charlottetown Harbour on a wintry day in January
Here are some things that you might be interested in incorporating into your plan for 2020:
- Invite a friend over for tea.
- Donate blood.
- Check on, or help out an elderly neighbour. (For those living in the north, shovel snow for them).
- Support local artists; buy their music, art, books. Go to concerts, art galleries and book launches.
- Buy local, and support businesses in your community.
- Send a friend a handwritten postcard or letter. It is a wonderful feeling to get mail from a friend.
- Bring your own reusable cups and containers.
- Walk more. Drive less.
These are just a few suggestions that can make a difference.
What are your plans for making a difference in 2020? What will you take time for?